Ever since I had tried out this next dish from a local thattukada, I have always wanted to try out the Cabbage Manchurian. Earlier I have already listed out a Mushroom Manchurian & going forth I am thinking of trying out the Gobi variant. There are just some tweaks amongst all these dishes like in this case I have opted for making it a gravy dish. However if required we can always dry this one out for a quick appetizer!!!
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped/shredded cabbage
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. corn flour
- 1/2 tbsp. rice flour
- 1 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 3 chillies finely minced/chopped
- ½ tsp. black/ white pepper powder
- Water as required 3-5 tbsp.
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp. finely minced garlic
- ½ tbsp. finely minced ginger
- 2 finely chopped green chillies
- 2 tsp. soya sauce
- 2 tsp. chilli vinegar/ plain vinegar
- 2 tbsp. tomato sauce/tomato paste
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Ajinomoto (optional)
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 ½ – 2 tbsp. finely chopped coriander leaves/ spring onion greens
Heat oil for deep frying in a heavy bottomed vessel.
In a bowl, combine flour, corn flour, rice flour, salt, ginger-garlic paste, green chillies, pepper powder, salt and finely chopped cabbage. Sprinkle little water to make a thick mixture. Add water little by little. And mix everything with your hand and make small balls.
Carefully place each ball into the hot oil. Deep fry the balls till brown on both sides. Remove onto paper towel and keep aside.
Mix 1 tbsp. of corn flour with ¼ cup water and keep aside.
Keep 1 tbsp. of oil and discard the rest. Heat oil in the same pan and once the oil is hot, add the chopped garlic, ginger, chillies and onions. Sauté for a while for about 3-4 minutes.
Add soya sauce, sugar and tomato paste and stir for a while. Add 1 cup of water. Close the lid and bring it to boil on a high flame. Add the corn flour water and stir until the gravy thickens. Add the fried cabbage balls and mix slowly. Add chopped coriander leaves/ spring onions.
Serve hot with Fried rice!!!!!